Wearing a mask properly is just as important as wearing a mask. The reason for this is the fact that wearing a mask improperly reduces the effectiveness of the mask and therefore increases risk of infection for yourself and others. If you find yourself asking the question: Why should I wear a mask during the COVID-19 pandemic you should read our previous blog. In the blog we explain that since COVID-19 is an airborne virus that spreads through respiratory droplets from coughing, sneezing, talking or breathing, wearing a mask helps to prevent these droplets from spreading.
Tips on wearing a mask properly:
- Wash Hands – Always wash your hands before and after handling your mask. Using hand sanitizer is also an option.
- Touch Mindfully – When you find yourself touching your mask be mindful of where you place your hands. While handling your mask we recommend you touch the bands, ties or ear loops as far as possible to avoid possible contamination.
- Good Fit – A mask is most effective when it fits snugly on your face. The mask should cover the nose, mouth and chin. The tight fit should ensure that there are no gaps or openings at the mask edges.
- Talk & Breathe Normally – Make sure that you can breathe and talk normally with the mask on. Removing or pulling down your mask to talk is not recommended and falls under the category of improper mask wearing.
- Adjusting – If you find you have to adjust your mask, be sure to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer afterwards.
- Eyeglasses and Masks – Wearing eyeglasses while wearing a mask can result in the lenses fogging up. We recommend adjusting the position of the mask to help prevent this. Press mask edges that are close to your eyes (nose and top of cheeks) tightly to your face, this should help redirect the flow of exhaled air to the lower part of the mask. When buying a mask, ensure that it has a wire nose piece that helps to shape the top edge of the mask to conform to the contours of your nose and under-eye area. This ensures better fit, improves mask efficacy, and reduces the likelihood that your glasses will fog up.
- Spare Mask – Keep a spare mask handy for emergency situations.
- Washing or Disposing – If you use reusable masks, which we recommend you do, make sure to disinfect your mask filter with boiling hot water for at least 10 minutes each day. If you use disposable masks, be sure to dispose of the mask after a day’s use.
Things not to do:
- Don’t wear bandanas, gaiters or masks with exhalation valves.
- Don’t wear your mask under your chin with your mouth and nose exposed.
- Don’t wear your mask on your mouth with your nose uncovered.
- Don’t wear your mask on your nose with your mouth uncovered.
- Don’t put your mask on your neck or forehead.
- Don’t touch your face while wearing a mask.
- Don’t remove your mask in a public place with others around you.
- Don’t share your mask with others.
The Rethink Reusable Surgical Mask is designed not only with reusability, responsibility and waste reduction in mind, but also to simplify proper wearing of the mask.
The filter fits snugly into any compatible mask, and different size options ensure that you can choose a mask with the perfect fit for your face.
Our filter also ensures protection that still allows you easy and normal talking and breathing. With the Rethink Face Mask Filter washing your mask is easy. All you need to do is remove the filter and disinfect with boiling hot water for 10 minutes.
Did we mention that the filter is reusable up to 9 times.
Now that you know the do’s and don’ts of wearing a mask properly we hope you mask up and stay safe.